Mission East – is a Danish international relief and development organization, which works to help the vulnerable through:
- Humanitarian relief aid
- Development assistance
- Support to increasing capacity of communities to organize and assist themselves
Mission East is looking for a Disaster Risk Reduction Officer
||Disaster Risk Reduction Officer
||The 3 year Mission East Project “Promote Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Disaster Management in At‐Risk Border Communities of Afghanistan and Tajikistan” covers water, sanitation and hygiene as well as community based management of water and sanitation facilities in the Districts of Nusai and Darvoz, targeting villages, schools and mosques. In addition, the cross border project promotes increased knowledge of DRR and DRM at the jamoat level in Tajikistan and the CDC level in Afghanistan. CRAT assessments are proposed in 52 villages in Tajikistan and Afghanistan, with increased knowledge of DRR and DRM and improved government-community relations. Other comprehensive DRM measures are also planned until the end of the project.
|Location / department
||Darvoz, Tajikistan with frequent travel to Afghanistan
|Length of contract
||12 months with 3 months’ probation period
||Facilitate and support the implementation of the Disaster Risk Reduction component in the cross-border communities of Tajikistan and Afghanistan.
|Key tasks and responsibilities
||Disaster Risk Reduction Programming
- Liaise with community representatives and government officials in Tajikistan and Afghanistan to ensure smooth start of the activities in close consultation with DRR Adviser
- Conduct the necessary field work in close coordination with the respective community mobilization officers to identify target communities for DRR intervention following Mission East guidelines.
- Mobilize communities and support the implementation of CRAT assessments in close collaboration with DRR Adviser
- Facilitate the setting up of Village Disaster Management Boards in Afghanistan’s targeted villages of the project
- Assist in the development of Village Disaster Management Plan workshops in Afghanistan
- Assist in data collection, design and implementation of small-scale mitigation and climate change adaptation initiatives in both countries
- Assist in the design and implementation medium-scale mitigation and climate change adaptation initiatives in both countries
- Conduct the villages profiling in cooperation with target communities. Collect the necessary information on location, types of disaster and impact to design and install appropriate outdoor Hazard Signs for use with communities.
- Conduct village assessments to define the need for cleaning tools to be distributed and used in accordance with transparency and equity, respecting, rights, gender and age.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of SART (Search and Rescue Teams) trainings.
- Assist in the design and implementation of a simulation exercises in Tajikistan’s targeted villages of the project
- Supervise the retrofitting of 2 buildings in Tajikistan
- In cooperation with villages and the DRR Adviser, design and implement measures for mainstreaming DRR approaches in WASH component of the project in particular aimed at making water systems less exposed to disasters and damages.
- Collect the necessary information in cooperation with the DRR Adviser to design and conduct DRR community training for the targeted villages in two countries.
- Collect the necessary information in cooperation with the DRR Adviser to design and print training and awareness raising materials
- Share concrete examples of training needs with the Community Mobilization Officer, plan and implement training in coordination with the DRR Adviser.
- Identify cross-border visit and event opportunities to share experiences between the communities of Tajikistan and Afghanistan in consultation with DRR Advisor.
Climate Change Adaptation
- Facilitate the mobilization of communities for the assessment of climate change vulnerability.
- Support the identification of potential interventions that will have the greatest impact in terms of reducing vulnerability and replicability.
- Strong competency in written and spoken English as well as, Tajik and Russian.
- Sound computer knowledge and skills that support the above mentioned duty sets
- A proven ability to communicate with colleagues, work in a team and report on achievements in clear concise terms.
- Clearly proven ability to work in conservative rural societies with a positive gender focus that enhances the full participation of women
- Able to adapt to the harsh conditions of rural communities.
- Complete trustworthiness in all aspects of professional life.
- A university degree in community development, climate change adaptation, rural development or an associated field.
- At least 3 years professional experience in the field
||Minimum of 3-5 years of experience facilitation and supporting DRR projects in a small to medium size INGO in Tajikistan. Ideally, proven experience in field based work focused on DRR and CA projects in Tajikistan is a big plus.
|How to apply
||Interested applicants can submit their CV, cover letters and contact details of three references by email: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject «DRR Officer, Darvoz » or bring the hard copy to below indicated address:127 Rudaki Avenue, office 903, Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
Deadline for application is 26th January 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview. No phone inquiries please.