Position title: Senior Programme Associate;
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term Appointment;
Duration of Appointment: initial appointment for one year;
Position Level: G7
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Tajikistan seeks to hire a Senior Programme Associate (GL7). The position is supervised by the Representative who provides the incumbent with necessary guidance and advice. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s). UNHCR Manual, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Senior Programme Associate. S/he is expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed to the region by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
The incumbent is expected to have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to collect information, monitor programme activities and implement administrative requirements.
The requirements and desirable qualifications for the candidate are the following:
- University degree (desirable) or completion of the Secondary education and advanced training/ certificate in Business Administration, Social Science, International Law or related field.
- Minimum 11 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Computer skills (in MS office)
- Fluency in Russian, Tajik and English languages.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position (desirable).
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position (desirable)
- Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, procedures and processes (desirable)
- Knowledge of UNHCR specific programmes -MSRP, Focus, etc. (desirable)
- Prior exposure to UNHCR refugee operations and functions relating to office administration and programme activities (desirable)
Major duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide inputs for developing the country operations plan for overall compliance with global strategic priorities and regional priorities as well as with annual programming/planning instructions.
- Assist in organizing and documenting a consultative process to ensure a consistent application of the organization’s criteria and policies for the selection of implementing and operational partners.
- Assist in managing the development of a broad network of partners, good coordination practices and the development of partner capacities.
- Assist in negotiating agreements with implementing partners and ensure that IP agreements are established in conformity with UNHCR’s financial rules and the latest Headquarters’ instructions.
- Assist in the design and preparation of detailed operations plan according to UNHCR standards and draft relevant agreement to be concluded with IPs.
- Undertake proper collection, monitoring and use of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyse programme performance, trends and target interventions.
- Review the implementation and performance of IPs agreements through appropriate physical monitoring to evaluate the projects by reviewing work plans, progress reports, budget, financial reports and expenditures; undertake field visits.
- To ensure quality programmes, use UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Global Focus, Focus Client) to assess the technical soundness of the operation and generate data for evidence-based decisions at the country-level.
- Assist in keeping donor representatives briefed on developments and assist in the development of funding submissions, appeals and reports.
- Assist in monitoring compliance to the organization’s resource allocation framework, providing support and taking corrective action where required.
- Assist in ensuring compliance in issuance of audit certificates for Implementing Partners.
- Assist in organizing a consultative process to ensure a consistent application of the organization’s criteria and policies for the selection of implementing and operational partners.
- Perform the assigned role in the established procedure of bidding process in the office.
- Assist in the implementation of asset management, including provision and analysis of detailed cost estimates and purchasing.
- Perform any other duty, as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Provide inputs for the country operations plan (including budgets, staffing levels and structures) as well as prepare inputs for funding submissions, appeals and reports.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR’s global strategies, protocols and guidelines.
- Represent UNHCR in physical monitoring of projects.
- Empowering and Building Trust (Managerial Competency)
- Managing Resources (Managerial Competency)
- Analytical Thinking (Cross-Functional Competency)
- Planning and Organizing (Cross-Functional Competency)
- Stakeholder Management (Cross-Functional Competency)
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, CV and completed UNHCR Personal History form (attached) in a sealed envelope marked “Recruitment of UNHCR Senior Programme Associate”, addressed to the Representative by 24 January 2018, COB. Candidates can also submit their applications by e-mail to: email@example.com
Please note that only successful candidates will be invited for competency-based interview.
Click to download: UNHCR Personal History form.